Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Plastic Debate

There have been many conflicting studies and opinions as to whether or not plastics leach dangerous chemicals. The bottom line for me is that plenty of these studies have linked over-exposure to plastic to an array of health issues and hormonal imbalances. And then there's just this gut feeling I have that something's not quite right about completely surrounding ourselves with this handy, oh-so-versatile super-material... especially when it comes to food storage. Maybe it's the fact that there often seems to be some sort of unnatural exchange going on between food and the plastic containers in which it is stored. You know how your water sometimes tastes a little funny when it's been sitting in a certain plastic container? or how a plastic storage container seems to retain the smell and sometimes stains of the food it was holding? That freaks me out. So, I'm on a mission to destroy all plastic. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating... a little. But I am working on transitioning my family away from plastic food-ware and into a much safer, cleaner, more sustainable and more attractive alternative: glass. Here are some solutions we're already implementing:


Recycling Mason Jars (photo courtesy of A Realistic Wedding)

This is a super easy, ecological and cheap solution. I save glass jars from tomato sauce, salsa, jelly, etc. to store food and herbs (or anything really) or re-purpose as drinking glasses, vases, or candle holders. Also, you can find new lids and jar sets online or at most department stores. I love the look of mason jars, they come in a variety of sizes and they're a quick, easy, pretty sturdy alternative to plastic storage.


Baby and Kid-friendly Options (photos courtesy of Lifefactory)

The best glass baby bottle I have come across has to be the Wee Go bottle from Lifefactory. They're strong and from my experience very shock resistant; we haven't broken one. They come in a cute silicone sleeve, available in 8 fun colors, and are safe t0 go in the freezer, dishwasher, or boiling water. You don't even have to take the sleeve off... easy-peasy!

And Lifefactory just came out with the best feature: the sippy cap converter set. These little guys quickly and easily convert the baby bottles into sippy cups. Yes, the cap itself is plastic, but finding a sippy cup with no plastic was impossible and the exposure here is minimal. My only gripe is that the cap and valve are a little temperamental. Screw it on too tight and there's no flow; too loose and you may have a leak. Otherwise, it's a great product. It keeps things simple and cuts down on waste since we're using the bottles we already had on hand. (Sidenote: I have a Mommy-size Lifefactory bottle, which I love, and when I'm chugging water out of mine it encourages my 2-year-old to do the same... keeping her hydrated and keeping Mama happy.)

For Everyone (photos courtesy of Duralex and Kinetic)

When it comes to dishes these are great for everyone in the house. Duralex, which has been around forever, makes an assortment of tempered glass dishes and containers that are extremely durable, stackable, and microwave-, freezer-, and dishwasher-safe. They're also pretty affordable and far more attractive than cheap, plastic kid-ware or storage containers. Because glass is non-porous you don't have to deal with any residual smells or stains.


Another brand I like, which has been great for food storage, is Kinetic. They make tempered glass storage containers with air and water tight silicone lids. You can safely take them freezer to microwave and they're top-rack dishwasher-safe. Bonus: I've been able to find them at Marshall's on more than one occasion, saving a few bucks off retail.




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. While there is still plenty of room for debate with silicone (I've worked with silicone oil, and it is not to be dismissed lightly), for the time being I think it is a great way to get away from the endocrine disruptors and estrogen mimics in plastics. Not to mention all the waste that stands to be prevented. Bamboo dishes are also great, and don't present a sharps hazard like broken glass can (just throwing that out there as an idea for other alternatives too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, Mark. I haven't come across a whole lot of info regarding silicone (what I have read states that it is non-toxic and relatively "environmentally friendly"), but in the case with these bottles there isn't actually any contact with food; the sleeves just serve as a protective layer. However, most bottle nipples and a lot of kids dishes are being made from silicone. If you have any information you can pass on I would appreciate it. I do have plans to address some other plastic alternatives (bamboo and stainless steel specifically) in future posts, but wanted to focus on the glass options here, as I find it to be the easiest solution. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction: I contradicted myself in the above post. Obviously there is a small amount of contact between the contents of the bottle and the silicone nipple. Also, the sippy cap has a silicone valve that comes in contact with the bottle's contents. Again, I can't find anything discussing the dangers of silicone in food storage products; still, wanted to clarify.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using mason jars to bring my coffee to work in. So much better!

    ReplyDelete